Friday 1 March 2013

Just when you thought is was safe to get back in the water...


Last week was Maddie Palmer's birthday... so after a year of hibernation, it's time to return to Snack My Bitch up. The plan: a shark cake.... the inspiration: the Syd Festival team's shark cake from last year (see below).



Now the Syd Festival team make a damn fine shark cake. Pressure was on. I figured a red velvet cake made sense. Firstly because it's tasty and secondly because you want the red blood look when you cut into the shark. As you can see below, making two large red velvet cakes means using a lot of food colouring.



Of course, I also needed teeth. I found these Coles brand lollies that look like ice cream cones. When you chop the icecream off the top, they look just like teeth!



So I cooked two red velvet cakes... One in a loaf tin, one in a big rectangular tray (for the ocean). Then I carved the loaf shaped cake into a shark. Attaching a back fin with a skewer and two side fins. At this point it looks like a disaster and I'm getting a bit worried.


But I'm pushing on... With grey icing and pink icing. I used cream cheese icing.. which is super tasty, but I've learnt the hard way that cream cheese icing really isn't as flexible as butter icing. It's too hard to mould well!


But I got there in the end (hurruh!). Here's the final product.


No comments:

Post a Comment